Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Vacant lot purchase shows forward thinking of County/City

I want to congratulate the County Commission on its recent vote to help purchase the vacant lot on the square. I think this is very forward thinking of the group and is the beginning of what I believe will be the center point for downtown renovations and revitalization. The joint purchase shows our local governments are listening to the businesses and citizens who would like to see our downtown thrive and grow.

Creating an attractive, usable space on the court square will, in my opinion, help to bring people back to the square. I can't help but think of all the many photos I've seen of the hustle and bustle that used to be downtown Brownsville. It wasn't that long ago and I believe we can have that again.

Throughout the phases of development, community involvement will be vital. The governments are doing their parts. As we learn more about this project and phases are developed, I hope you will choose to get involved. This is but one of many positive changes happening in our town, and it's going to take all of us -- working together ... making it happen!

2 comments:

  1. R. L. Hooper said...

    I have been thinking about what can be done on the lot on the corner of E. Main & Washington since the building has been removed. I have wondered what kind of building could be put there and have always come up with a blank.

    When there was a building there, traffic coming around the square always were turning around a blind corner, and made it very dangerous to back out from the parking spaces on Main.

    Considering the negatives of putting another building there, I believe a beautiful rock and/or flower garden that wouldn't obstruct the view of the traffic, but would in turn be a pleasant site to look at would be the best way to go. It could even have a perpetual fountain (with a recirculating pump). Also it along with other garden sites around the city can be maintained by trustees from the jail, at no expense to the taxpayer.

    August 1, 2008 2:31 PM

    ReplyDelete