Saturday, February 21, 2009

Plans for Downtown Renovations


Mayor Webb Banks presented the plans for the court square renovations at the Brownsville Business Association Tuesday night, February 17, 2009. I had heard a lot about these plans and was anxious to see them. A few years ago there was talk of removing the fountain on the courthouse lawn. I threaten a sit-in and chaining myself to the fountain. Not that that would have done any good, but fortunately it did not come to that. While I have some mixed feelings about the choice of lighting style and the parking situation at the back of the courthouse, for now, my fountain is safe.

My biggest concern though is the projected date for beginning this project - August. Predictions are that it will take 3 months to complete. This time line puts construction happening during the Hatchie Fall Fest (October 17). So what happens with the festival? Will it have to be moved? Where?

Here's a larger picture of the plans and more details ....

1 comment:

  1. I think the plans are a great improvement. We are so lucky to have leaders who have a vision and really care about Haywood County. I really do enjoy this site. Thanks for the great job you do!!!

    ReplyDelete